Saturday, June 6, 2009

My sensitive girl




Trinity is such a sweet and sensitive girl. When she hasn't slept well her tears flow at the drop of a hat. She needs her beauty sleep! She has grown so much this year and her sensitivity is still stronger than ever. Just an example of her sensitivity came out this week. I showed her a website that has all kinds of craft ideas we could make for Craig for Father's Day. There were two sweet poems that I thought I could do something sweet with. Here they are:

Footprints

"Walk a little slower Daddy," said a child so small. "I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast, Sometimes they're hard to see; So walk a little slower, Daddy, For you are leading me.

Someday when I 'm all grown up, You're what I want to be; Then I will have a little child Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right, And know that I was true; So walk a little slower, Daddy, For I must follow you."

And here is the other one:
Sometimes you get discouraged Because I am so small And always leave my fingerprints On furniture and walls. But every day I'm growing - I'll be grown some day And all those tiny handprints Will surely fade away. So here's a little handprint Just so you can recall Exactly how my fingers looked When I was very small.

So after reading these poems to Trinity and telling her we can get handprints or footprints of all three of them and put the poem in the middle and frame it for Daddy she says very quickly and contrite, "I want to do the book ends not the poems". I was caught off guard because I thought these were great Father's Day gift ideas. "Why don't you like the poem idea?", I ask. She starts to bawl...I mean not coherent at all as she buries her head into the couch. I said, "It's okay to cry just tell me why it made you sad". She continues to tell me how she doesn't want to grow up and it makes her sad to think of growing up and not being little anymore. Oh wow...do I remember feeling like that at her age and a little older. All the responsibilty of life scared me. Who would protect me and take care of me? I saw all of it written on her face. Even Brendan started to get upset wondering if Daddy and I would get old and would we die. I had to very gently explain that it takes a very long time to grow old and we would be here a long time before God wanted to take us to heaven. Everything was ok after that (walking on eggshells ok) for awhile. At dinner I told Craig how sweet his little girl was and told what happened. I couldn't even finish and she burst into tears again. He had to hold her during dinner until she calmed down. Usually she is okay with this kind of thing but add lack of sleep and my Trinity can lose it like she did this day. I love how sensitive she is even though I wish she wasn't so much like me in this area. I wish I were more thickskinned and not so easily hurt. And my daughter is just like me. I want to nurture it in her but so that she uses this for caring for others. She is my sensitive girl.

Here are some pictures of her new (they are actually mine I got from my grandma as child) dangly earrings (she felt so beautimous):
And I am practicing french braids on Trinity's little head. I am posting a picture but (mom please don't look at how bad I did this braid) I am still not used to doing braids on someone else's head. I figure now that I have two girls I have to know how to actually do hair in something besides brushing and barrettes.
At least she can't see the back of her head to see how bad I braided her hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment