Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Goodbye Grandma, Goodbye Lori

On Saturday morning my Grandma finally passed away after being ravaged by breast cancer slowly for two years. It was never a way I wanted to see my grandma die or anyone for that matter. Her body couldn't take the chemotherapy or radiation that someone with a stronger heart/body could take. I think Mom was right though...I believe God allowed her more time with us to adjust to the fact she would be gone from our lives and allow us to grieve and say goodbye, it allowed her to face her death and feel the fear and questions of what will happen when she dies. I only hope that the notes I wrote her about what God says of death and heaven gave her understanding and eventually peace.

I will always remember her strong facial features and strong body (part Dutch and Cherokee) ...the way she effortlessly seemed to do physical work. Her tanned skin from working in her gorgeous rose garden in the Arizona sun. I can still remember her perfume as if she were in the room with me. I'll remember her musical voice and sweet giggle. She always had this amazing laugh that was so beautiful...and my grandfather (who adores her) always found a way to bring a smile and that giggle out. I will remember how she would suck in her thin lips and lick her lips frequently when concentrating on her work or one of the many jigsaw puzzles she and my grandfather always kept out. I always think of her when I turn on my gas stove and heat up a pot of cinnamon herbal tea in the winter. It always reminds me of the smells that I woke up to in their cabin kitchen up on Mt. Graham. I'll always remember how when my mom said I looked so much like her when she was a child. She seemed to light up and I felt so good to be a part of her part of family. I'll remember how when the grand kids came (and there are a lot!!) she always had to escape to her bedroom because she would be overcome by tears and emotion that she didn't want anyone to see. I also remember how confident she seemed even a little stubborn and determined. She will be missed but I am happy for the memories. I really love my grandmother and I pray for my grandfather who has lost his best friend...they have been married since he was 18. I pray for Christopher (their grandson) who they had taken in and were raising as their own child. I know she will be missed and mourned.


My sister in 1998 at her bridal shower (she's holding the bouquet). Tanya is in the light blue (this is before the accident) and I'm next to her on the very end. Her sister-in-law and best friend that she named her daughter after (Victoria) is on her right.



My big sister, Lori, is also leaving...not for good but leaving Georgia for Katy, Texas. I will now be the only "Belt" in Georgia. I am more than a little sad about being the last one here and not having my family close by. There is a comfort knowing you can drive to your parents house or call your sister just to chat...and now they are gone.

I am so proud of my sister. She has two gorgeous and smart children. A wonderful husband, Pat. She is gorgeous ( I think she looks Cherokee Indian or Hawaiian-kind a Brooke Burke), intelligent, successful...she is everything I wish I could be. She has had a lot of hardship in her life but she never gave up and her life exemplifies her tenacity. She is amazing and I'm praying for God's best in her and her family's life as she travels to begin a new job, in a new city/state, and new home. I know she will do wonderfully like she has in every part of her life!

Life is never static always changing and bringing loss, adversity, new beginnings, life, and happiness. I'm so glad God is with us every step of the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment