Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Weird

I'm doing school work with Trinity today in our dining room converted to school room and I see a couple of  neighbors from up the street with four yorkshire terriers in their own strollers, with Halloween sweaters on, getting their picture taken by their Dad owner while the Mom owner places them in front of our neighbors full-fledged Halloween haunted yard.  Weird...of course I remember thinking our pomeranian was our child and attempting to dress her up when Craig and I first got married.  Luckily, she wouldn't have any part of fluffy britches or hand knit sweaters put on her so she has saved me (and particularly Craig) the embarrassment of being one of those dog-owners that treats their pets more like a child than an actual dog.  Uhhh...I was such a dork.

The neighbors that actually own the house decorated for Halloween are in their early 50's and bought the house about a year ago.  Craig went over and introduced himself about a week after they moved in and invited them to church...which they gasped and made this horrified look at him and said they don't do "organized religion".  That's the second neighbor that has stated that.  Now when we go outside to do yard work, play with the kids, or get the mail they immediately go inside or to the back of their house.  How weird...you would think we asked them something much more crazy than come to church.  Anyway, now they have this lovely (sarcasm here) make-shift graveyard and witch with cauldron, ghosts (huge ones), and shrunken type heads hanging from the trees on their lawn which is also in plain sight of Brendan's bedroom.  He is constantly talking about skeletons and how Satan wants us to be afraid of this stuff but he is not afraid because he believes in God and how God doesn't like that evil stuff.  But he's also trying to stare at it every chance he gets.  I really used to love this holiday mainly because of candy and dressing up but now that I have kids and am saved I loathe it.  I hate to see my kids so scared and how dark the holiday is.  So now I'm just talkin' up his birthday which is at the end of November and Christmas, Jesus' birthday.  I can't wait for this weekend to be over with!

No comments:

Post a Comment