Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas

We had such a great Christmas!  My mom and dad gave us a gift card to Walmart to buy the kids gifts from them and from us this year.  That was awesome because I had no idea where we would get the money for gifts this year.  I did learn a lot from last year though...God provides and that less is so much better than more when it comes to gifts.  The kids always seem so overwhelmed when Craig and I used to get them everything and this year we got them more of the things they needed like jammies, socks, fun body washes and lotions, a cool Horton hears a Who game (that is so adorable), shoes, and then a couple toys. 

We planned on going over to Craig's parent's townhome in Vinings.  They have the most beautiful home full of Victorian era antiques and it's like a museum.  It always makes me more than a little nervous with all the Lladro figurines and antique clocks and knick knacks.  If the kids broke one accidentally I would just die.  Craig's dad, Tony, usually covers their new sofa and lounge chair with plastic while we are there and then we head upstairs to the fourth floor where things are considerably more relaxed and I don't have to worry so much about what they are touching.  They love to ride the elevator up to the fourth floor and down again.  This year though Sandy had cooked for everyone for 4 hours straight and then the next morning she couldn't get out of bed.  Her back had given out!  Poor woman!  So they cancelled and rescheduled for New Year's Day.  Next year Megan (my sister-in-law) and I will cook the sides and dessert and bring them to her-no more cooking for her!

Rick, Craig's brother, invited us to their house in Marietta since they had gone out the night before and gotten Christmas dinner for their family of three.  We happily accepted and ate late lunch with them and enjoyed their adorable and sweet Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mickey, Pluto, and Penny).  If they weren't 3K a piece I would want one.  Way too much for an animal!!  But they are sweet and docile and so sweet...did I say sweet?   Anyway, they have 5 cats too that are also named after Disney characters but the kids didn't get to see any but Daisy.  The others were hiding in their room upstairs (probably for the best). 


It was really nice to be with them because we don't get together with them very often.  Every year I see how as kids you are obligated to be around your siblings, but as you grow up and have your own families unless you make a concerted effort you lose touch with your siblings.  Because of Tanya's death I worry so much about doing enough to keep those relationships going and strong.  We may not agree with everything about each other but without them is just not the same.  With them we remember simpler times and we get humbled too!  I love seeing Craig with his brother and how they have the same humor and same smile.  They are sweet and I don't want them to grow apart.  It reminds me of how much I miss Tanya and our jokes and craziness.  It reminds me of how much I miss Lori and wish we were closer.  I thank God for siblings and pray that my kids will be close to each other no matter what our future holds.

Here are a few of our Christmas morning pictures and hopefully take a bunch more this New Year's of the family.  I still wish we were up with my mom and dad on their snowy farm!!  How neat to have a white Christmas.
Craig got a new bookmark for his devotional/bible from Trinity, Brendan, & Annaliese



Brendan is looking at some books we actually got with his birthday money (thanks Mom and Dad!) He didn't want to look at anything else

Trinity got an Indonesian Barbie (we know someone in Indonesia and have been studying about it)

Here she got a couple missionary biographies she wanted (Corrie ten Boom and Amy Carmichael)


Chippy wants to know where his presents are (Annaliese is in the background playing with her new Elmo phone-she loved it and the paper it was wrapped in)

Brendan looking at a couple DVD's (Jungle Book, Aristocats )

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment