Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sibling rivalry

This week has been fun.  That kind of fun where you get when getting a root canal at the dentist.  The kids have been sick with some cold virus since they came home from their grandparents house on Saturday afternoon.  Annaliese was sick before that and has been just as fun.  She hasn't slept very well and has a stuffy nose.  She squishes up her face and nose and then breathes in and out.  It's cute but I hate that she is so stuffy.

We had plans for some friends to come over to dinner on Friday but we had to cancel because of the sick kiddies.  I was upset but what are you going to do?  I thought they were getting better even though they seemed tired the last couple of days.  This morning after a hard night with Annaliese I heard the Brendan get up and go potty and go back into their room.  I heard lots of giggling and I thought all was well and that they were definitely feeling better.  Craig took Annaliese downstairs and let the dogs out, I got ready and then went into their room to say good morning before headng downstairs to start breakfast.  Only one person was laughing and it wasn't Trinity or myself.  Trinity was bawling on her bed and Brendan was hiding in his tent on his bed in the corner giggling.  I asked Trinity if she was okay...thinking uh-oh trip to the doctor -maybe her fever is back- maybe she has strep- maybe she's dieing (ok exaggerating here).  No, it was a case of Brendan the ornery little brother aggravating her to tears this morning.  He had messed up her bed each time she made it this morning (according to Trinity that was several times) and this is a big deal because her bed is against the wall so their beds can fit in the room together and it makes it hard for her to make her bed and tuck in her sheets and comforter.  Then he steals her butterfly earrings and won't give them back.  So Mama had to come in and threaten he would be in his own room with a spanking and time out if he didn't immediately apologize and give her earrings back.  He gives me this sassy look before he says he's sorry to me.  I said, "no you say you're sorry to sissy.  She is the one you hurt!  Does she look like she's having a good time?"  He shakes his head no.  He gives me another sassy look before he says sorry to her and gives the earrings back.  Whew he almost got his hiney whipped.  This is the last straw for him...any more bullying or antagonizing his big sissy and he's back in his room alone!

The earrings remind me of Tanya.  I had these earrings that mom bought me for my big deal 8th grade formal.  I was so excited and the earrings were beautiful pink porcelain roses and pearls in between inlaid with gold filigree.  And I had this gorgeous matching necklace.  I felt so beautiful.  Fast forward a year later and I was home from school and putting my jewelry in my jewelry box and noticed they were missing.  I asked my little sister and I immediately knew she had taken them.  I was nice, then I got more urgent, then I begged, and finally I just got plain mad asking for my earrings.  She would not tell me where they were.  Finally, I saw her shove them down her underwear and run outside.  I wanted to kill her!  I chased her outside where too late I saw her shove them down in a dirt hole.  I couldn't find the hold in the yard...I looked and looked and begged her to show me where she had put them.  I never did find those earrings.  Now I look back and can laugh...but at the time I was so mad!  I still can't believe she shoved them down her underwear!  What in the world was that about!  Crazy girl!  But that is sibling rivalry...we do things to bug, annoy, and get back at our brothers and sisters...just because!  Let's just hope Brendan shapes his little hiney up before I have to set him straight with a spanking and not just threats.

3 comments:

  1. Okay - I can't stop laughing. You have become me. Do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new pictures and the music! Love and miss all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Mom...everyday I become more and more humbled as a mother and see more and more of you coming out in me...This is one tough job!!

    ReplyDelete