I was diagnosed with endometriosis back in the fall of 2006. I had gone to a new gynecologist that I had read about in Around Woodstock and I was really impressed with his articles and how he views surgery as a last resort even though gynecologists are surgeons and love to do surgery. I made an appointment to find out why I was starting to experience pain again that I didn't believe was related to my interstitial cystitis. My periods were lasting a lot longer and they were so painful that I couldn't even have a bowel movement during my cycle without feeling like I was going to pass out. Sex was becoming increasingly painful as well. I felt like someone was stabbing me through my vagina (sorry so graphic but that's how it felt). I would have to stop walking during those times and breathe deep. That's hard to do with a little boy about to turn 1.
Dr. Litrel did an ultrasound and found a cyst on my ovary which explained my pain during ovulation and that my uterus was retroverted and believed that could be fixed and was causing my pain during sex. He also believed that my interstitial cystitis diagnosis was not accurate and that I really had endometriosis. His recommendation was a laparoscopy. So Craig and I scheduled it and he told me I could still breastfeed Brendan after surgery just pump and dump in the first couple hours while anesthesia wore off.
The next month while waiting for surgery I was dreading it. I almost canceled each week. Then three days before my surgery I put myself on a liquid diet to clean my system and it was also supposed to help me recover faster. I was already eating broths and water and that was about it so I had nothing in my system. Trinity and I were still going for our daily walks with Brendan and this particular day we were out I was having horrible horrible cramps. We were stopping every five minutes so I could catch my breath and breathe through the pain. Finally, I started feeling really sick to my stomach and I knew I was going to have to get to the toilet. I told Trinity we were going to have to walk as fast as we could because I couldn't run or I was going to have an accident. We made it right to our mailbox and then...well let's just say I didn't make it and good thing I was wearing a sweatshirt to cover myself. I was about to cry as we made it inside. Trinity was about to throw up because I reeked. I got a shower cleaned myself up and drank gatorade for the next day and then the day before surgery I had to do the cleanse prescribed for the procedure. I knew something was wrong and was reluctant to find out what it was. I told Craig before surgery that something was seriously wrong and to please pray for me during surgery.
Dr. Litrel prayed over me before surgery and then before I knew it I was out waking up from anesthesia. Craig came in the recovery room and asked it I felt lighter. I was groggy and asked what he meant. He said my appendix had been on the verge of rupturing during the procedure. Dr. Litrel told him that the pain I experienced from the endometriosis that was confirmed and diagnosed in the procedure along with the cyst and the confirmed diagnosis of interstitial cystitis I would have thought the appendicitis was one of those pains and not gone to the hospital. Point blank he told Craig I wouldn't have made it to Thanksgiving the next week. Wow, I was more than a little thankful God spoke to me during that walk to have the surgery.
After, the adhesions of endometriosis were taken off and I healed from the procedure for a month I was getting back to myself. My periods were getting better and I was having as much pain. But less than a year later another cyst was on my ovary and causing pain and all my pain and symptoms of endometriosis were back. He recommended a hysterectomy or to go ahead and get pregnant now if I wanted any more children. The hormones during pregnancy and breastfeeding keep the growths from growing and spreading to other organs. So after months of trying we did get pregnant with Annaliese. As she starts to eat more and nurse less I feel the pains coming back and know my next laparascopy is inevitable but I pray it won't be as bad as before.
These are the symptoms of endometriosis according to Mayo Clinic:
- Painful periods (dysmenorrhea). Pelvic pain and cramping may begin before and extend several days into your period and may include lower back and abdominal pain. Severity of pain isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of the extent of the condition. Some women with mild endometriosis have intense pain, while others with more severe scarring may have little pain or even no pain at all.
- Pelvic pain at other times. You may experience pelvic pain during ovulation, a sharp pain deep in the pelvis during intercourse, or pain during bowel movements or urination.
- Excessive bleeding. You may experience occasional heavy periods (menorrhagia) or bleeding between periods (menometrorrhagia).
- Infertility. Endometriosis is first diagnosed in some women who are seeking treatment for infertility.
And my endometriosis isn't that bad. It turns out that my adhesions were minimal but caused alot of pain. If anyone reading this has these symptoms or knows anyone who does please recommend seeing a doctor that is knowledgeable on endometriosis. I was told by several gynecologists and family doctors that the pain was in my head. I was told I was too stressed and told to to take antidepressants because I was depressed. I knew I wasn't and I knew the pain was real. If you know a pain you have is not "normal" for you listen to your body because you live in it and know your body better than any doctor. Don't take no for an answer when you truly feel the pain isn't normal pain or is so strong that you can't function in your daily lives. There is more to life than just "toughing it out" as I thought I had to do. Please spread the word so others don't have to suffer like me!
No comments:
Post a Comment