Saturday, March 20, 2010

Name calling

Trinity had dance on Monday night and all the girls from the different classes got into their costumes and just looked precious.  I was so excited that Trinity was well and Annaliese was well enough to go so we didn't miss out on her pictures. 

She absolutely loves dance.  She is such a girly girl.  When we put her in soccer at 5 and her team was exactly like her and they all played with each others hair during practice, danced around during games, and had no idea where the goal was or what to do with the ball because they didn't want to get too rough with each other.  She was adorable but after one season we said no more soccer because it was definitely not her forte. 

Now that she's in dance she is one of the most graceful girls in her class and I just love to watch her.  I know I am biased but she is so beautiful.  And it is so sweet the way she and all the little girls flock together when she gets to class and they play with each others hair and giggle.  Little girls are just so precious.  But there is one little girl who has ADHD and is constantly picking on the other little girls.  Each week Trinity comes home and tells me how this little girl has called a classmate "stinky" or "ugly", etc.  I told her if possible to stick up for whoever was being picked on and reassure the little girl that whatever she was called was not the case.  I knew it was only a matter of time before my baby would get picked on.  I knew this little girl was making her rounds in the class.  And then on Monday Trinity came out from getting her dance pictures and she had a weird look on her face.  Immediately I asked, "what's wrong?"
"Something really really bad and I can't talk about it here.  I'll tell you in the car," she quickly whispered back.
"Is everything ok?"  I wondered.
"NO, something I can't tell you right now happened.  It was really bad Mama."
We get in the elevator and I asked her to tell me since we were somewhere private.
"E___, called said I was the chubbiest girl in our class."  she started crying.
"What?!" I was so shocked I couldn't even think what to say.
"Miss Faith said it wasn't true and that E___and I are the same size and she told her that wasn't nice.  Do you think it's true Mama am I chubby?"
Oh my goodness.  Here comes my panic.  I've had issues with food and starving myself and binging and purging through most of my late teens and early 20's.  I always thought if I showed Trinity how eating is good for your body to grow and it makes you strong and healthy maybe when something like this happened I would have some kind of credibility and have a stronger voice imprinted in her young mind.  Stronger I hoped than the devil and his attacks on my kids.  But I didn't know if I would panic to much about my weaknesses that I would not hear God's voice when trying to reassure her of all that was true.
"Trinity, your teacher is right you and E___ are the same size and are the tallest girls in your class but you are not the chubbiest.  When you were getting your pictures taken E__'s grandma was talking with me and telling me how bad she has ADHD and she doesn't have alot of friends.  ADHD can make a person not have as much control over their mouth as other people and that could make people not want to be around her and then that makes her want to say mean things to hurt people and make them feel the way she feels."

"Well that's wrong!  She shouldn't say those things.  She's called girls in my class smelly, stinky, fat, ugly.  And she shouldn't say it at all."  Trinity was still upset.

I had to explain that stuff like this happens and I wanted to know what she believed. 

"I'm not chubby.  I think I look like God wants me to.  And I've been exercising and after this flu I've lost weight."

That scared me and I had to tell her that she doesn't need to lose any weight and that she shouldn't listen to E___ and her comments.  I had to remind her that we have to eat to keep our bodies strong otherwise we can give into the devil's temptations and lies.  She understood and said she wouldn't stop eating or anything crazy like that.  I'm so glad she's got her head on straight.  Then we got home and before we got out of the car we said a prayer for E___ and that God would help her control her mouth and gain some friends.  I think that helped.  I know this is just the beginning of name calling and mean stuff that goes on with girls but I'm hoping with me home schooling her and teaching her about God she's getting the truth written on her heart before she's confronted by the lies of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment