Thursday, July 23, 2009

Living vicariously

I am living vicariously through my daughter as she takes ballet. When I was a child we moved alot and one year we lived in Nevada and my mother bought ballet lessons for me. Oh you should have seen my incredibly coordinated ballet outfit. I had all pink and an adorable stretchy ballet belt that had a ballet slippers clasp. And of course this is the 80's so to complete my ballet outfit I wore cute fluffy pink leg warmers! But my dad was laid off and we had to relocate to Kansas City before I could take my second lesson. My dreams of becoming a graceful ballet dancer shattered.

So today I am so excited because it's the start of Trinity taking ballet lessons. Trinity will be going to get her measurements taken for ballet class for this year. I have been trying to get her to take ballet lessons since she was able to walk (ok really since she was 3 or 4). Craig was like..."really ballet for a 3 year old ? Come on! We are going to pay for her to dance around and play dress up ballerina like she does at home? Yeah, I don't think so." So then I waited until she was 5 and then Trinity was adamant that she did not wish to do ballet classes and definitely not get up on stage and dance in front of a bunch of people she did not want staring at her. Hiding my disappointment I then asked every year since then and this is the year. So I saved our tax money for school and set aside an amount for these lessons and she will start in August. I am so excited. I've been practicing putting ballerina buns in her hair and comparing prices for dance clothes to make that money stretch farther. I can't wait! Now she can come home and teach me the ballet I always wanted to learn...I mean she is going to have fun and this is not about me.

Because my mom felt so bad I didn't have anything fun like ballet to take (my big sister was a cheerleader and excellent gymnast and swimmer...ok she was good at everything and anything) she put me in a rec league basketball group. I hated it. I was short so all the tall girls who were on the defense would have their behinds right in my face and knock me over with little to no effort meanwhile wondering where did Kari go? My mom said I enjoyed it but I really hated it and didn't want to complain...at least it was something right? It did teach me to stand my ground and probably helped me to stand up for myself when I got to middle school which was extremely difficult for a nerdy girl like me. So I am so excited that my daughter is dancing! And if she hates dance there's always basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment