Phew what a day! Trinity had her recital this morning at 10am and we had to be there at 9am. We almost didn't make it because Trinity hadn't shut the door on the van yesterday all the way and the battery in the van was dead. So 10 minutes after we were supposed to get her there we arrived and we were fine after some damage control to make sure she didn't feel horrible about the battery (especially before her recital). She danced beautifully and other than walking Annaliese around the chapel and in the chapel during Trini's performance (in horrible painful but adorable shoes) we did great. I got Annaliese to sleep and sat on the bench until the last performance in memory of the director's mother who passed away this year. Then I noticed that Brendan who had gone stir crazy sitting through the two and half hour performance and had been running outside with his PawPaw was not looking too good. I thought his blood sugar was low (even though I'd given him a cheese stick and juice box and some gum to tide him over till lunch). But then he started bawling that his arm hurt. I knew immediately the way he was holding his arm that he had nurse maids elbow again. The tendon gets pinched in between the joints and is really painful and he couldn't bend his elbow. And I had to go back to the church in less than an hour to assist with the next performance (and get changed, nurse Annaliese, feed all the kids... you get it). So I tried to take him from Craig but he is now 4 and not 2 anymore. This means that now he has fear of pain or anything I might do to hurt him-even if it means it will help him. So, ole nurse ratchet (as Craig calls me because I just dive in and fix it) wasn't allowed close to Craig or Brendan (Craig was holding him) for over an hour. By this time I have missed the time I was supposed to be at the recital but I have managed to change and feed Annaliese. Trinity is now in tears because she's worried about her brother and she's tired because she woke up so early with excitement over her recital. Oh yeah, and Craig still has to recharge the battery in the van because he hasn't gone shopping for my Mother's Day yet because he worked overtime almost every day this week.
This would be one thing if this were just a crazy day out of the blue...but having three kids has made this kind of day a complete norm. Craig's parents asked what they could do and I said, "Pray! Pray for us to have patience!". Craig's dad laughed....but I wasn't joking. I cannot be the mother God wants if I don't have him first and patience next. So long story now shortened...I gently but firmly popped Brendan's tendon out from the joint while he screamed bloody murder at me. Craig's parent's got him a happy meal and he got two popsicles and an IronMan toy from Walmart for his grief and pain. Then at lunch he stretched his arm and said, "Mama, my arm doesn't hurt! You're a good doctor!" That made it all worth it! Happy Mother's Day to me!
Tomorrow we're off to Mt. Paran to see Craig's dad sing in the choir, maybe take a family portrait that their church is offering, and then to see Gram at her assisted living apartment for lunch of fried chicken, coleslaw, biscuits, and strawberry shortcake. Craig invited his parents to come over after for grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad and peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert. But the best part will be wearing shorts, flip-flops, and playing in the backyard with the kids. I just wish my mom and dad were here to enjoy it with us. Happy Mother's Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment