My mother-in-law, Sandy, gave me her book Marley & Me to read because she and Tony (my father-in-law) saw the movie and knew with a new baby and our finances we most likely wouldn't see it. The book is absolutely hilarious and a tear-jerker especially for anyone who has ever had a dog that is nuts or just drives you bonkers at some point. Mom, I want to send this book to you or see if you can buy it for your kindle. I know you would love it. We got a free movie rental from the red box outside Walmart and rented it last weekend and just as usual the book was way better than the movie but I still cried in the end (mainly because some parts of the movie they kept the same as the book).
The book reminded me more of Chip because he is part lab and part jack russell terrier. Although he has the markings of the terrier and the front facing ears of the terrier he is really all lab. He has this gentle mouth when he takes things from your hand. He loves people and no matter how bad your day has been and how you may take it out on him (yelling at him or getting aggravated at him) he always comes back to you with unconditional love. No matter how many times his nose has been pinched or how many times he has been tackled by Brendan he still just breathes a heavy sigh and moves out of the way never retaliating. He is stubborn but he also knows I am the boss...and huffs heavily to know he's not happy I'm the boss but that he gives in (for now). So even though Chippy is only a year old when I finished the book I loved a little extra on him and Princi but for different reasons. Chippy reminded me of all Marley's antics and the craziness that is the big dog breed (even though Chip is 75 pounds and Marley was close to 100).
Princi is going to be 12 this year and is entering the her last season in life. She sleeps alot and I think she has dementia lately because she has been doing some weird stuff lately that makes me think she's not all there anymore. For instance, we put her in her crate at night and she has been freaking out -panting and whining. She has been extra thristy so we have a water tray that went with the crate we hooked on to the gate so she doesn't bother us at night for a drink. We knew that she couldn't be thirsty so we let her out and she went downstairs and jumped on her chair (she's been allowed to claim this chair since we adopted Chippy because it's the only safe place for her when the moose comes galloping through). Craig yelled at her to get upstairs. We put her back to bed. The next night she did it again when we were downstairs after the kids went to bed. She just wanted to be with us when we were watching TV and not alone in her crate in our bedroom. She never does that. She also has been pottying on the floor next to the door (while we are in the room with her) then she cries to be let out. That drives me insane! But she is my first baby. She is the puppy Craig and I picked out together as newlyweds after his childhood silver point Himalayan cat Bandit was put to sleep when cancer had ravaged his poor little body. I taught her to lick Craig in the face to wake him up so we could go to school and eventually work. She moved multiple times with us to our eventual home we have now. She has seen three babies grow in my tummy and each time greeted each one with tender sniffs of approval and loving kisses. So knowing she will be in heaven soon (I know this is true because in Revelation it says we will see the lion lay down with the lamb-so there will be animals there) makes me a sad. But just like in Marley & Me I have all those great memories with her and each one of our kids will be able to say they knew our first daughter.
So as you can see now...Marley & Me ends a little weepy but it is so worth it for any dog lover...but read the book pass on the movie. It will make you love on your puppy a little more or make you remember the one you've already said goodbye to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment